[Freeipa-users] ipa-server-install IndexError: list index out of range

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 21:24:07 UTC 2013

Chuck Lever wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm new to FreeIPA.  I'm installing on an up-to-date Fedora 18 system from the freeipa packages available with Fedora 18.  When running ipa-server-install, the install process fails here:
>
> Configuring certificate server (pki-tomcatd): Estimated time 3 minutes 30 seconds
>    [1/20]: creating certificate server user
>    [15/20]: requesting RA certificate from CA
> Unexpected error - see /var/log/ipaserver-install.log for details:
> IndexError: list index out of range
>
> The tail of the installer log looks like this:
>
> Generating key.  This may take a few moments...
>

> 2013-02-12T21:04:46Z INFO   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/installutils.py", line 617, in run_script
>      return_value = main_function()
>
>    File "/sbin/ipa-server-install", line 986, in main
>      dm_password, subject_base=options.subject)
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py", line 621, in configure_instance
>      self.start_creation(runtime=210)
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/service.py", line 358, in start_creation
>      method()
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py", line 1219, in __request_ra_certificate
>      self.requestId = item_node[0].childNodes[0].data
>
> 2013-02-12T21:04:46Z INFO The ipa-server-install command failed, exception: IndexError: list index out of range
>

> Is there a workaround or fix available?  I haven't found any relevant information via a web search, and a few searches on bugzilla.redhat.com have come up empty.

We've seen just one other report of this and unfortunately the VM was
removed before we could do a lot of diagnosis. What we saw was that
certutil output garbage when requesting the RA admin certificate. Can
you look in /var/log/ipaserver-install.log for the last certutil
command? Does stdout contain a lot of garbage characters in it? It
should consist of a base64-encoded CSR.

If so, what version of nss and nss-tools do you have installed?

rob