[Freeipa-users] how do i apply patch?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 17:12:39 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 11:25 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> 2013/1/10 Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>:
>
>> If you want to do a custom build, you can either use a fedpkg and create a
>> scratch build of IPA with the patches applied or do a custom build from git
>> tree. Using the fedpkg tool + build in koji may be the safest way to build
>> such rpm that contain only the official build + chosen patches.
>>
>> Martin
>
> Hi, what I want to do is simply patch free ipa with that patch from
> ipa-server 2.2.0 on my centos 6
>
> any method that would retain current configuration?

You can do one of two things.

1) Download the source rpm matching the version you have installed, add
the patch, rebuild the rpm locally, install the locally built rpm.

2) Apply the patch to the installed code, this is manual, there are
opportunities to mess up a running system unless you're careful and it's
not reproducible. But it can be faster and more expedient, most IPA devs
do this all the time to try out potential fixes because it's so easy to
edit installed Python code. However, if the patch in question depends on
post install update run by the RPM install this won't (easily) work. The
safest thing is option 1, build a patched RPM.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/