[Freeipa-users] Howto re-deploy an IPA-client using kickstart

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 17:09:29 UTC 2013

On 01/18/2013 06:52 AM, Fred van Zwieten wrote:
> Hi Dmitri,
>
> Sorry for the late reply. I basically want to do the same as Charlie
> Derwent in another tread on this mailing list: To fully automate the
> re-installation of a server using Satellite/Spacewalk using kickstart.
> As the server is an IPA client, it must first get to be un-enrolled,
> before an ipa-client-install --unattened -w secret etc. can be done in
> a %post snippet of the kickstart file. It is the automation of the
> unenrollment proces that we are not able to set up.
>
> What I can do on any ipa-client to unenroll on the command line is:
>
> ipa --disable-host <server> and ipa host-mod --password=secret --ssh=
>
> This unprovisions the client, set's an OTP and removes the host ssh keys.
>
> However, this can only be done on an IPA client, and during a
> kickstart install the server is no longer an IPA client, because it is
> freshly being set up.
>
> It's a typical chicken-and-egg issue. You must first be ipa client to
> be able to execute ipa commands, but you cannot become an ipa client
> before unprovisioning yourself using those same ipa commands.
>
> Another approuch would be to unprovision the client just before the
> reboot to be kickstarted, however, I have no idea how to set that up.
> It would mean the server has to know somehow it is being rebooted
> because of a re-install, but afaik, there is no way for
> satellite/spacewalk to tell the server this..
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred

IMO the right approach would be for the Satellite server to perform "ipa
--disable-host <server> and ipa host-mod --password=secret --ssh=" as a
part of the re-installation.
Satellite should be given an IPA identity and call into IPA when it
performs reinstall before rebooting the system.

Tough... I will see what I can do.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal