[Freeipa-users] Unable to start replica server after setting up replication

freeipa at stormcloud9.net freeipa at stormcloud9.net
Wed Jan 30 14:18:28 UTC 2013

On 2013/30/01 03:33, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 01/30/2013 02:05 AM, freeipa at stormcloud9.net wrote:

>>> Sounds like DS did not start under the CA. Please check the DS logs in the
>>> PKI instance.
>> ns-slapd appears to be starting fine. I can even start it manually, but `ipactl
>> status` still shows the error:
>> Below is the result of me starting it manually (directly running ns-slapd):
>>
>> # ps ax|grep slapd
>> 15540 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/sbin/ns-slapd -D /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA -i
>> /var/run/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA.pid -w /var/run/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA.startpid
>> 15586 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/sbin/ns-slapd -D
>> /etc/dirsrv/slapd-CLIFF-CLOUDBURRITO-COM -i
>> /var/run/dirsrv/slapd-CLIFF-CLOUDBURRITO-COM.pid -w
>> /var/run/dirsrv/slapd-CLIFF-CLOUDBURRITO-COM.startpid
>> # netstat -tpnl | grep slapd
>> tcp        0      0 :::636                      :::*
>> LISTEN      15586/ns-slapd
>> tcp        0      0 :::7389                     :::*
>> LISTEN      15540/ns-slapd
>> tcp        0      0 :::7390                     :::*
>> LISTEN      15540/ns-slapd
>> tcp        0      0 :::389                      :::*
>> LISTEN      15586/ns-slapd
>> # ipactl status
>> Directory Service: RUNNING
>> Unknown error when retrieving list of services from LDAP: {'info': 'SASL(-4):
>> no mechanism available: ', 'desc': 'Unknown authentication method'}
>>

> Hello,
>
> OK, it seems that ipactl could not bind to your Directory Server. This script
> uses a "ldap_uri" configuration option value from /etc/ipa/default.conf to
> connect to Directory Server via EXTERNAL auth.
>
> You can verify yourself if that bind works or not with the following ldapsearch
> (just replace $LDAP_URI_VALUE with your setting):
>
> # ldapsearch -Y EXTERNAL -H $LDAP_URI_VALUE -b
> "cn=masters,cn=ipa,cn=etc,dc=cliff,dc=cloudburrito,dc=com"
>
> I assume it will report the same error as ipactl. We need to verify that the
> referred LDAP URI is indeed right and functional.
>
> Martin

The system had no /etc/ipa/default.conf
I copied the one from the master server, changed the `host=` and
`xmlrpc_uri=` parameters to reflect the replica server, and now `ipactl
status`, along with everything else, is working perfectly.
Should that file have been created during the `ipa-replica-install`
process? I don't see anything in the documentation about having to copy
and edit it manually.

Thanks

-Patrick