[Freeipa-users] Auto-Mount Home Directory for Local Users?

Dean Hunter deanhunter at comcast.net
Wed Jun 19 21:34:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 14:00 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:

> I guess I'd check the system logs to see if /home/local was attempted to
> be mounted at all. Does it exist on the NFS server?
>
> I find running automount in foreground mode with debugging to be very
> useful in tracking down these issues.
>
> rob

Yes, /home/local exists on the NFS server. And I can mount it manually.
I am suspicious that "sec=krb5p" is not valid with a user that is not
authenticated by IPA. But I do not know how to configure an alternative
for locally authenticated users. I am about to try the suggestions from
Brian Cook and Elijah Elliott.

[root at host ~]# ipa automountlocation-tofiles VM
/etc/auto.master:
/-     /etc/auto.direct
/home  /etc/auto.home
---------------------------
/etc/auto.direct:
/mnt/Shared  -fstype=nfs4,sec=krb5p host.hunter.org:/srv/nfs/Shared
---------------------------
/etc/auto.home:
*  -fstype=nfs4,sec=krb5p host.hunter.org:/srv/nfs/home/&

maps not connected to /etc/auto.master:
[root at host ~]# cat /etc/exports
# The file /etc/exports contains a table of local physical file systems
# on an NFS server that are accessible to NFS clients. The contents of
# the file are maintained by the server's system administrator.
#
# Each file system in this table has a list of options and an access
con-
# trol list. The table is used by exportfs(8) to give information to
# mountd(8).
#
# Local File System  Options                         Access Control List
/srv/nfs/home        -rw,sec=krb5p:krb5i:sys         *.hunter.org
/srv/nfs/ISO         -ro,sec=sys                     *.hunter.org
/srv/nfs/Shared      -rw,sec=krb5p:krb5i:sys         *.hunter.org

[root at host ~]#

Please advise which system logs you would check as none of the ones I
can find show any indication of a problem. And can you give me a pointer
to documentation on how to run "automount in foreground mode with
debugging"?