[Freeipa-users] AEGIS "integration"

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Jun 28 19:40:57 UTC 2013

On 06/28/2013 03:28 PM, Brian Lee wrote:
> Dmitri,
>
> Still not clear on how we're going to be using AEGIS, but I know
> integration always makes management happy. If I get pulled into
> implementation with AEGIS, I'll ask less vague questions. Just glad to
> know there's some opportunities there.

I scanned the docs on the AEGIS side in search of
LDAP/Kerberos/Authentication with 0 results. Which made me look from a
different angle.
AEGIS seems to consume operating system  in a preconfigured way assuming
all the identities are sorted out underneath. SSSD and IPA do exactly that.
My point is that they are on the different layers and IPA + SSSD will
provide a nice foundation but there are no direct requirements from one
to another.

> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com
> <mailto:dpal at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/26/2013 11:58 AM, Brian Lee wrote:
>>     I would be interested in this as well. We're utilizing AEGIS, so
>>     any integration options or user experience would be quite helpful.
>>

>>     On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM, KodaK <sakodak at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:sakodak at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         My manager sent this line item to me today for his meeting
>>         with a director over operations:
>>
>>         "Discuss long term authentication of aix and linux systems.
>>          Most likely need to integrate with aegis"
>>
>>         Besides the fact that I don't know what they mean here by
>>         "integrate" -- has anyone done anything with AEGIS that might
>>         "fit the description" so to speak?
>>
>>         A bit of background:  they (the windows folks, of which the
>>         director in question is one) have been trying to push IPA out
>>         since the day I put it in.  I'm wondering if this is yet
>>         another artificial barrier they're using to attempt to
>>         justify that decision.

>     I did a quick scan of the AEGIS docs.
>     http://mysite.verizon.net/ralph.a.smith1/aegis/howto-html/working_in_teams.html#id2535810
>
>     General requirement is to have the same users on all systems.
>     This can be accomplished by using SSSD+ FreeIPA on Linux and AIX
>     LDAP client against FreeIPA if needed on AIX.
>     See client configuration chapter on FreeIPA Fedora docs and pages
>     on FreeIPA wiki.
>
>     They also mention NFS. It would be really beneficial to use NFS4
>     with FreeIPA.
>     You can find pointers to how to do this in the presentations by
>     Steve Dickson at Red Hat summit for the last 2-3 years.
>     http://rhsummit.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/dickson_t_0230_evolvingimprovingredhatenterpriselinuxnfs.pdf
>     http://rhsummit.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dickson_the_evolution_nfs_protocol.pdf
>

>     --
>     Thank you,
>     Dmitri Pal
>
>     Sr. Engineering Manager for IdM portfolio
>     Red Hat Inc.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.