[Freeipa-users] What does the "u" mean in IPA messages?

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 19:29:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> BTW, why are you parsing diagnostic output?  They are not part of the
> official API. We do not have any consistency rules for INFO and DEBUG
> messages, they can change at any time and often do. On the other hand
> command output is fairly consistent and not subject to the capricious whims
> of developers.

Not the original poster, but parsing log events is commonly done prior
to saving them in a structured data store as a transitional measure
while efforts like CEE and Project Lumberjack [1] stabilize.

For example, the popular Logstash project provides a library of
patterns for common services [2]. For users who parse FreeIPA logs,
frequent log formatting changes could be disruptive.

-n

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/lumberjack/
[2] http://logstash.net/docs/1.1.9/filters/grok