[Freeipa-users] Password expiry when account provisioned/updated via JSON RPC

Brian Smith brs at usf.edu
Mon Mar 4 18:41:23 UTC 2013

Thanks for your response, and sorry for my late response.  I'm on RHEL6,
using the packages from the distribution
repository, ipa-server-2.2.0-17.el6_3.1.x86_64

My pwpolicy is set as such (in testing):

$ ipa pwpolicy-show --all
  dn: cn=global_policy,cn=rc.usf.edu,cn=kerberos,dc=rc,dc=usf,dc=edu
  Group: global_policy
  Max lifetime (days): 365
  Min lifetime (hours): 1
  History size: 0
  Character classes: 0
  Min length: 8
  Max failures: 10
  Failure reset interval: 60
  Lockout duration: 600
  objectclass: top, nsContainer, krbPwdPolicy

If I create an account and set the password using the following JSON
string, against $server/ipa/json, say today,

{
 "method":"user_add",
 "params":[ [],
   {
     "uid":"it-rc-test-faculty",
     "homedirectory":"/home/i/it-rc-test-faculty",
     "userpassword":"MyPasswordInTheClear",
     "givenname":"RC TEST - Faculty",
     "sn":"Service_Account"
   }]
}

I get a password expiry time like so:

$ ipa user-show --all it-rc-test-faculty | grep krbpasswordexpiration
krbpasswordexpiration: 20130602163523Z

That's clearly not one year into the future, but more like 90 days.

Is there something else I'm missing or are we looking at a bug?

Many thanks,
-Brian