[Freeipa-users] Realm distrubuted across data centers

Loris Santamaria loris at lgs.com.ve
Wed Mar 13 19:06:44 UTC 2013

El mié, 13-03-2013 a las 14:44 +0100, Petr Spacek escribió:
> On 13.3.2013 14:28, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> > Michael ORourke wrote:
> >> I think SRV records are only part of the problem.  We are using
> >> integrated BIND/DNS with our IPA servers and I'm not sure it supports
> >> views.  But thanks for the suggestion.
> >> I guess we could create custom krb5.conf files in each DC and mange them
> >> with Puppet, but there are other config files (e.g. resolv.conf and
> >> ldap.conf) that would need to be managed too.  Maybe there are some
> >> other IPA client config files that setup static mappings during the join
> >> process.  Anyone know which ones to look at?
> >
> > No, we don't support views yet.
> Views are not supported in IPA admin tools, but generally views can be
> configured with some hacking around. The price for that is losing IPA admin
> tools for DNS and generally, it is ugly and hard to maintain. I wouldn't
> recommend that.
>
> Our latest & greatest proposal for location auto-discovery in summarized at
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/DNS_Location_Mechanism . Any comments are welcome!

Hi!

The proposal seems to me too complicated, I really liked the old
proposal where you could query the DNS which was the most appropriate
"site" for your IP address. Choosing the right site by IP address is not
perfect, there will be always some corner cases, but it is good enough
and way better than what we have now.

The problem could be addressed in two parts:

1) Add the concepts of "sites" to the IPA realm, and associate every
server with one (and just one?) site, the generate the appropriate SRV
record for every site. I did this manually, creating the SRV records one
by one:

_kerberos._udp.site1._sites.mydomain.com. IN SRV 0 100 88 ipa1.mydomain.com.

When joining the host to the domain the admin may add the option
--domain=site1._sites.mydomain.com to ipa-client-install to use the
right ipa servers for that site.

This first step could be added to IPA fairly easy and it would be a
great improvement.

2) Add some kind of configurable locator policy to SSSD. There could
be:

2.1) "fixed site" policy, which would use always the same site
2.2) "CLDAP ping" AD-like policy
2.3) a policy which reads and remember the right site per client or per
ip address from LDAP on first connection...

Just my $0.02!

Loris Santamaria   linux user #70506   xmpp:loris at lgs.com.ve
Links Global Services, C.A.            http://www.lgs.com.ve
Tel: 0286 952.06.87  Cel: 0414 095.00.10  sip:103 at lgs.com.ve
"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said
a faster horse" - Henry Ford