[Freeipa-users] Slow ipa performance -- why so many ldap lookups ?

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Tue Mar 19 20:41:23 UTC 2013

We're struggeling with the performance of IPA, and have tried switching
to the ldap backend for sssd to be able to see what's happening. The
attached trace is from a RHEL6.4 client running "id janfrode" with the
following sssd backend:

[domain/IPALDAP]
id_provider = ldap
auth_provider = ldap
ldap_schema = rfc2307bis
ldap_uri = ldap://ipa2.example.net, ldap://ipa1.example.net
ldap_search_base = dc=example,dc=net
ldap_user_search_base = cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=net
ldap_group_search_base = cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=net
ldap_netgroup_search_base = cn=ng,cn=compat,dc=example,dc=net
ldap_tls_cacert = /etc/ipa/ca.crt
ldap_tls_reqcert = never
cache_credentials = True
enumerate = false
debug_level = 1
krb5_server = ipa1.example.net

Please ignore the timings in the trace, as the ldap-server had too high
debug level when it was collected.

What we find very strange in the trace is:

	- how many ldap searches are done (144!)
	- that nesting is handled by the client, instead of using
	  "memberOf".
	- that all group members are searched individually, and multiple
	  times if they're members of multiple groups

Ldap-searches are probably (without this high debug level) taking
0.02-0.03s, so 144 of these is causing us 3-4s to resolve all my groups.

I can get the time "id janfrode" takes down to less than 1s if I use
ldap_schema=rfc2307, turn of nesting and use the cn=compat tree for
group lookups... but ideally I'd want to use the ipa-backend so that we
can use the IPA HBAC stuff..

  -jf