[Freeipa-users] User admins for different groups

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 15:04:37 UTC 2013

On 26.3.2013 15:10, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Philipp Richter wrote:

>>  >
>>> This might help
>>> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/Identity_Management_Guide/index.html#delegating-users
>>>

>> Yes, I read the whole document but as far as I understand delegates are
>> only helpful for editing existing records. I want admins of one branch
>> to be able the also create users, but only in the assigned branch.
>>
>> Currently we use standard openldap with different ou's for the branches.
>> Each branch admin has full ldap permissions for it's own ou-subtree.
>>

> IPA uses a flat DIT so here is no way to control adding users in a given
> branch office.
>
> The most you'd be able to do is delegae management (delete/modify) a subset of
> users who are members of a group that represents that branch office. Any new
> users added would need to be added to the appropriate branch group by the
> admin adding them.

This sounds like big deficiency to me...
Is it possible to hack automember plugin to enforce some group assignment
based on creator's group/name as proposed above? It should allow users to
prepare some hand crafted ACIs, I guess.

(Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about automember internals :-)

--
Petr^2 Spacek