[Freeipa-users] User admins for different groups

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 23:11:11 UTC 2013

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 03/26/2013 11:55 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Petr Spacek wrote:

>>> This sounds like big deficiency to me...
>>> Is it possible to hack automember plugin to enforce some group
>>> assignment based on creator's group/name as proposed above? It should
>>> allow users to prepare some hand crafted ACIs, I guess.
>>>
>>> (Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about automember internals :-)
>>>

>> Using automember doesn't prevent an admin from adding a user outside
>> of the branch. It would just automatically assign that new user to the
>> correct branch based on the automember rules AND assuming that the
>> admin that added the user included the right information for the rules.
>>
>> ACIs control add at the subtree level, so for us it is a binary.
>> Either you can add users or you can't.
>

> I think Petr was suggesting to be able to add new factor into the
> auto-member configuration. If the admin that adds a user has some
> property than the user needs to be automatically placed into a specific
> group. And admin would have ACIs against that group.
>
> Isn't what should happen to support the use case with the flat tree we have?

The problem is we can't constrain a user from adding a user to the wrong
branch. Once in the wrong branch, a delegated admin would have no way of
administering it.

There are two kinds of access controls, attribute-level (read, write,
search) and entry-level (delete, add). So it is very possible to add an
entry with attributes you aren't later allowed to modify.

rob