[Freeipa-users] RHEL 5.x client functionality with ipa-server 3.0

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Oct 21 19:09:42 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 12:25 PM, Brian Lee wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We have a mixed RHEL environment (5.x, 6.x, x86, and x86_64). Our
> FreeIPA server is running RHEL 6.4 x86_64 with ipa-server 3.0.  My
> question is what are the hurdles or feature limitations should I
> expect to encounter in this mixed environment, especially in regards
> to the RHEL 5.x systems? I appreciate any feedback or experience provided.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

The client and underlying SSSD component have evolved quite a bit since
they were introduced in RHEL 5.6.
The details would depend on different factors, for example which DNS you
use. Later versions of SSSD and ipa-client can be told to not rely on
the DNS auto-discovery for LDAP/Kerberos services.
Later versions of SSSD also have integration with sudo, automount etc.

So the bottom line is that you might have to do more manual/scripted
configuration of the client on top of ipa-client in earlier versions of
SSSD and ipa-client and some features just would not be available on
RHEL5 systems.
But basic authentication and identity lookups would work everywhere.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.