[Freeipa-users] IPA Load Problems?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Sep 4 12:32:32 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 08:01 AM, John Moyer wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I apologize there was a large offline conversation between Rich and
> myself.   Rich was kind enough to help me through some of my issues.
>  We did a lot more tests and poking and prodding.   We discovered that
> IPA is not as efficient when dealing with large number of connections.
>  Most of my load inefficiently reconnect to IPA over and over and over
> and though LDAP can deal with this fairly efficiently, IPA apparently
> drops to it's knees.
>
> A ticket was opened to addressed this issue.

Thank you for reporting this ticket.
Martin is investigating it and trying to see what is the cause. The
information mentioned above is missing from the the ticket, thus the
question.

So to summarize: you identified that the cause of the performance issue
is that JIRA makes a lot of parallel connections to LDAP server and IPA
is slow processing bind operations thus clients that do a lot of
connections can experience a low performance.

Martin, I wonder if we can have a test that would just do a lot of binds.
There are a lot of plugins and one of the recent ones is the OTP one. I
wonder if we do too much during bind when OTP is not enabled (by default).

> Thanks,
> John Moyer
> Director, IT Operations
> *Digital Reasoning Systems, Inc.*
> John.Moyer at digitalreasoning.com <mailto:john.moyer at digitalreasoning.com>
> Office:703.678.2311
> Mobile:240.460.0023
> Fax:703.678.2312
> www.digitalreasoning.com <http://www.digitalreasoning.com/>
>
> On Sep 4, 2013, at 3:44 AM, Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com
> <mailto:mkosek at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 08/30/2013 11:08 PM, John Moyer wrote:
>>> Well IPA has machine entries on some test clusters that I'm rolling IPA
>>> out on (20 machines maybe) but the user base is the same (about 80 ~
>>> 100)
>>> accounts with maybe 40 to 50 groups?
>>>
>>> I've stood up a clone of the jira server along with IPA.   I cleared my
>>> logs and then did the sync and ran the log analyzer on it.   These stats
>>> are pretty much ONLY for that jira sync I don't have any other
>>> connections
>>> pointed to it.
>>>

>>> Start of Log:    30/Aug/2013:15:57:13 End of Log:
>>> 30/Aug/2013:16:01:14
>>>
>>> Processed Log Time:   Hours, 4 Minutes, 1 Seconds
>>>
>>> Restarts:                     1 Total Connections:            824 SSL
>>> Connections:              824 Peak Concurrent Connections:  6 Total
>>> Operations:             1806 Total Results:                1805 Overall
>>> Performance:          99.9%
>>>
>>> Searches:                     968        (4.02/sec)  (241.00/min)
>>> Modifications:                5          (0.02/sec)  (1.24/min) Adds:
>>> 0          (0.00/sec)  (0.00/min) Deletes:                      0
>>> (0.00/sec)  (0.00/min) Mod RDNs:                     0
>>>          (0.00/sec)
>>> (0.00/min) Compares:                     0          (0.00/sec)
>>> (0.00/min) Binds:                        833        (3.46/sec)
>>> (207.39/min)
>>>
>>> Proxied Auth Operations:      0 Persistent Searches:          1 Internal
>>> Operations:          0 Entry Operations:             0 Extended
>>> Operations:          0 Abandoned Requests:           0 Smart Referrals
>>>
>>> VLV Operations:               0 VLV Unindexed Searches:       0 SORT
>>> Operations:              0
>>>
>>> Entire Search Base Queries:   0 Unindexed Searches:           1
>>>

>> This looks like a promising way to find out the reason, thanks John.
>> However,
>> I see just one unindexed search. Is the access log complete?
>> Previously I see
>> that the sync takes 900 seconds/15 minutes, but there is only 4
>> minutes the
>> access log. Note that it it may take some time until the log is dumped.
>>
>> I think it would be also useful to run the analyzer with "-ula" flags
>> as Rob
>> suggested earlier to find out the unindexed searches (if any).
>>
>> What I find interesting is that JIRA does a lot of LDAP BINDs. Can the
>> problem be in longer BINDs than with than expected (compared to for
>> example
>> plain LDAP servers)? Performance-wise, it would be I think better if JIRA
>> does just one BIND and run all the LDAP searches the established
>> connection.
>> But I do not know if it can be configured this way.
>>
>> Rich, Rob, I am wondering if the slow up is not really caused by the
>> binds,
>> we have several DS plugins tied to the BIND operation, it may be
>> useful to
>> analyze if they do not take too long.
>>
>> Martin

Thank you,