[Freeipa-users] Using FreeIPA for LDAP authentication in 3rd party applications

Thomas Raehalme thomas.raehalme at codecenter.fi
Thu Sep 12 11:46:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

Previously we have used Atlassian Crowd as a source for user data in
various applications, both in-house built and proprietary such as JIRA
or Confluence. As we have deployed FreeIPA, I would like to start
using it as the identity source. Unfortunately using Kerberos is not
always possible so I am thinking about LDAP which often is an option
in 3rd party applicaitons.

Anonymous access to the FreeIPA LDAP is enabled by default. Is it
possible to configure username/password to access the information?
Currently vSphere has a problem with anonymous access to LDAP not
working as intended. Ofcourse it would be nice to be able to restrict
access anyways.

If using FreeIPA LDAP as the identity source, how should
authentication be handled? Is it possible to read the hash code for
passwords? Is it possible to authenticate against the LDAP service?

Any advice appreciated!

Best regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas Raehalme
CTO, teknologiajohtaja

Codecenter Oy
Väinönkatu 26 A, 4th Floor
40100 JYVÄSKYLÄ, Finland
Tel. +358 10 322 0040
www.codecenter.fi

Codecenter - Tietojärjestelmiä ymmärrettävästi