[Freeipa-users] Server randomly will stop accepting krb requests

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 16:47:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Andrew Tranquada wrote:
>I have 6 servers setup as freeipa replicas.
>5 are working great, no problems.
>They are all running ipa-server-3.0.0-26.el6_4.4.x86_64
>However, the same one will randomly stop working. By stop working I mean the following:
>(domain name and ips have been redacted)
>
>I cannot kinit as any user on that machine:
>[root at badserver ~]# kinit admin
>kinit: Generic error (see e-text) while getting initial credentials
>
>I cannot connect on 389 or 636 to that server:
>
> telnet badserver 636
>
>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>
>slapd is running and listening on port 389 according to netstat:
>[root at badserver ~]# netstat -lpn | grep 389
>tcp        0      0 :::7389                     :::*                        LISTEN      16419/ns-slapd
This is port 7389, for CA LDAP instance, not port 389 which is main LDAP
instance.

>but nothing is returned for port 636
Because port 636 is served by the same main dirsrv instance that is
down.

>in the /var/log/slapd-PKI* or slapd-<DOMAIN> error files, the last error is from over a week ago, actually the last entry period is from there.
>
>[18/Sep/2013:01:09:34 -0400] slapd_ldap_sasl_interactive_bind - Error: could not perform interactive bind for id [] mech [GSSAPI]: LDAP error -2 (Local error) (SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information (KDC returned error string: PROCESS_TGS)) errno 2 (No such file or directory)
>

>/var/log/krb5kdc.log shows
>Sep 30 12:22:24 badserver krb5kdc[32063](info): AS_REQ (4 etypes {18 17 16 23}) <ip>: LOOKING_UP_CLIENT: admin at EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, Server error
>
>a service ipa restart ALWAYS fixes it.
Directory server instance is down, so LDAP server is not accessible, so
Kerberos KDC cannot read the data which is only in LDAP, so it denies
access.

>Any guidance/advice/docs to read would be greatly appreciated! The fact
>that it seems to be so random and the other 5 ipa servers are working
>great makes it even more frustrating!
Look at directory server's logs to see what was the reason for refusing
starting up in /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-<DOMAIN>/errors.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy