[Freeipa-users] experience using IPA in a mixed environment

Carl E. Ma zhu_junca at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 5 16:24:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

My environment has Redhat5, 6, Centos 6.x and Ubuntu 12.04. Following Redhat identity management manual, I am able to configure user authentication, kerberos NFS, SSSD and autofs on most of my systems.

The only trouble is integrating ubuntu 12.04 with autofs.

1. automount in /etc/nsswitch.conf doesn't recognize sss as the name service, you need to put ldap instead.
2. automount on ubuntu 12.04 doesn't recognize the auto.master map from IPA server.

On our IPA server:
ipaserver# ipa automountlocation-tofiles default
/etc/auto.master:
/-      /etc/auto.direct
/home   /etc/auto.home
---------------------------
/etc/auto.direct:
---------------------------
/etc/auto.home:
*       -fstype=nfs4,rw,sec=krb5,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 nfs:/opt/shares/home/&

>From ubuntu 12.04 IPA client:
#automount -f -d     <=shows it can't find the auto.master map, in /etc/default/autofs, I tried both ways to specify the auto.master map.
==
#cat /etc/default/autofs  | grep MASTER
#MASTER_MAP_NAME="automountmapname=auto.master,cn=default,cn=automount,dc=x,dc=x,dc=x,dc=com"
MASTER_MAP_NAME="auto.master"
==

>From the error messages, it seems automount on ubuntu doesn't lookup LDAP for auto.master information.

Apr  4 17:25:26 ecs-94a55510 automount[1032]: lookup(file): file map /etc/automountmapname=auto.master,cn=default,cn=automount,dc=x,dc=x,dc=x,dc=com missing or not readable

Although I am using pam to automount user home directory, i am curious  whether anyone else experienced the same problem, or maybe I missed something.

Thanks,

carl