[Freeipa-users] Running a FreeIPA replica in a limited-resource environment

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 06:47:40 UTC 2014

On 04/16/2014 08:56 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-16 at 13:40 -0500, Christopher Swingler wrote:
>> Hello, FreeIPA list.
>>
>> We're looking to start using FreeIPA to replace our standard 389 LDAP
>> server on our public web server.
>>
>> That public web server also houses a public wiki, which currently
>> authenticates against 389. We're running FreeIPA on site in our
>> hackerspace, but are working toward a goal of a federated login system
>> between all of our public and internal systems.
>>
>> My plan, as it stands, is to set up a VPN link between our public web
>> server and our space, and set up a master-master replication between a
>> FreeIPA server running onsite, and another on our public web server.
>>
>> The limitation I'm currently considering is that our public web server
>> is limited on resources - it's a VM with 1GB of RAM, on which we're
>> already running Apache, Mediawiki, and an IRC bot. The VM is currently
>> donated by a member. We're a little crunched on resources as it is,
>> and I fear that spinning up a full FreeIPA replica on that system may
>> push us over the edge of resource constraints.
>>
>> Is it possible to tune FreeIPA to run with fewer resources, or
>> replicate only the portions of it that we really need running remotely
>> (just the LDAP server)?
>
> If you avoid configureing the replica as a CA and a DNS server you'll
> have only a handful of services running, namely 389ds, krb5kdc, kadmind,
> httpd, ipa_memcahed.
>
> Unless you plan on doing maintenance via the public instance, what you
> could do is to manually turn off kadmind and ipa_memcached on that
> instance. The managment UI would sto pworking and you wouldn't be able
> to change password through that server so you may want to avoid
> advertizing it on your internal newtork, but it should otherwise work
> for authentication on your satellite VM.
>
> Note however that if you are replicating just to allow for redundancy in
> authentication what you could do instead is to use pam based
> authentication for your applications and use sssd on the system. Using
> password based authentication via pam/sssd would allow sssd to cache
> password hashes of the users and allow authentication even when the VPN
> link fails and would be much more lightweight.
>
> HTH,
> Simo.

Right. This may be a job for the Web App Authentication modules we have been
working on:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Web_App_Authentication

If wiki is running on apache, I am thinking the central authentication could be
solved with mod_intercept_form_submit or extensions based on authentication via
REMOTE_USER, like
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AutomaticREMOTE_USER

If this is not something that does not work for you, stripped down FreeIPA +
LDAP authentication plugin should work:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LDAP_Authentication

Martin