[Freeipa-users] Could not chdir to home directory /home/net/dean: Permission denied

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 20:19:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Dean Hunter <deanhunter at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-04-21 at 14:05 -0500, Dean Hunter wrote:
>
> I am sorry, but I have forgotten where to start to diagnose this problem.
> Please remind me.
>
> [dean at host ~]$ ssh desktop.hunter.org
> Last login: Sun Apr 20 21:12:38 2014 from host.hunter.org
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/net/dean: Permission denied
> -bash: /home/net/dean/.bash_profile: Permission denied
> -bash-4.2$ pwd
> /
> -bash-4.2$ ls -l /home
> total 4
> drwx------. 4 local local 4096 Apr 20 21:04 local
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root  root     0 Apr 21 13:48 net
> -bash-4.2$ ls -l /home/net
> total 8
> drwx--x---. 29 dean dean 4096 Apr 20 21:28 dean
> -bash-4.2$ ls -l /home/net/dean
> ls: cannot access /home/net/dean: Permission denied
> -bash-4.2$ whoami
> dean
> -bash-4.2$ exit
> logout
> -bash: /home/net/dean/.bash_logout: Permission denied
> Connection to desktop.hunter.org closed.
> [dean at host ~]$
>
> desktop.hunter.org is a VM that I have rebuilt several times trying to work
> around this problem. ipa-client-install and  ipa-client-automount completed
> without error messages.  /home/net/dean is accessible when I log-in through
> gdm and Virtual Machine Manager.

> Now it appears as though that ssh fails to access the auto-mount home
> directory until after successful gdm log-in:

      I still suck at osssd (I assume the host you are connecting to
is rh/centos/fedora), but in pam you have to define each way you are
logging (gdm, ssh, screensaver) in to get a kerberos ticket, and
create the cache in /tmp after you are successfully authenticated.
automount then can use that ticket to do its thing. You will also
notice if you kinit manually you will then be able to cd to that
directory.

That is where I would start looking at.