[Freeipa-users] dse.ldif and dse.ldif.bak are lost

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 13:26:28 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 03:26 AM, artjazz at free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 1 ipa master 'ipasrv' and 2 replicas 'iparpl1 iparpl2' installed with
> --setup-ca option.
> Since a few days I have an issue with '389 Directory Server' on the master
> (ipasrv) and on the 2nd replica (iparpl2) with the following messages:
>
> The configuration file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-MYINSTANCE/dse.ldif was not restored
> from backup /etc/dirsrv/slapd-MYINSTANCE/dse.ldif.tmp, error -1
> Apr 28 07:38:35 localhost ns-slapd: [28/Apr/2014:15:38:35 +0200] dse - The
> configuration file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-MYINSTANCE/dse.ldif was not restored from
> backup /etc/dirsrv/slapd-MYINSTANCE/dse.ldif.bak, error -1
> Apr 28 07:38:35 localhost ns-slapd: [28/Apr/2014:15:38:35 +0200] config - The
> given config file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-MYINSTANCE/dse.ldif could not be accessed,
> Netscape Portable Runtime error -5950 (File not found.)
>
> The files dse.ldif and dse.ldif.bak are lost.

Was this a VM or a bare metal machine?  If a VM, please consider not
using a disk image file for the /etc partition to help avoid this
problem in the future.
What version of 389-ds-base?  rpm -q 389-ds-base
Do you have dse.ldif.startOK?
ls -al /etc/dirsrv/slapd-MYINSTANCE

> On my 1st replica (iparpl1) everything is OK.
>
> No Full IPA backup and LDAP backup done on ipasrv and iparpl2.
>
> A) Can I restore those files from iparpl1 ?

dse.ldif?  No, not without a lot of editing, since there is a lot of
host-specific config