[Freeipa-users] RHEL 7 Upgrade experience so far

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:48:55 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 04:01 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 08/04/2014 04:45 AM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>>

>>> Whether related or not I am getting the following in my RHEL
>>> 6.5 IPA instance /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-CA/debug log:
>>
>>> [26/Jul/2014:20:23:23 +0000] slapi_ldap_bind - Error: could
>>> not send startTLS re quest: error -1 (Can't contact LDAP
>>> server) errno 107 (Transport endpoint is not connected)
>>> [26/Jul/2014:20:23:23 +0000] NSMMReplicationPlugin -
>>> agmt="cn=masterAgreement1-i pa2.example.com-pki-ca"
>>> (ipa2:7389): Replication bind with SIMPLE auth failed: LD AP
>>> error -1 (Can't contact LDAP server) ((null))
>>> [26/Jul/2014:20:23:37 +0000] slapi_ldap_bind - Error: could
>>> not send startTLS re quest: error -1 (Can't contact LDAP
>>> server) errno 107 (Transport endpoint is not connected)
>>> [26/Jul/2014:20:23:48 +0000] slapi_ldap_bind - Error: could not
>>> send startTLS re quest: error -1 (Can't contact LDAP server)
>>> errno 107 (Transport endpoint is not connected)
>>
>>> And these errors just continue to be logged.
>>
>>> When attempting to run ipa-ca-install -d on the RHEL 7 replica
>>> (all other services are on there running fine) I receive the
>>> following:
>>
>>> ipa         : CRITICAL failed to configure ca instance Command
>>>  '/usr/sbin/pkispawn -vv -s CA -f /tmp/tmpqd0WwF' returned
>>> non-zero exit status 1 ipa         : DEBUG      File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/installutils.py",

line 638, in run_script
>>> return_value = main_function()
>>
>>> File "/usr/sbin/ipa-ca-install", line 179, in main CA =
>>> cainstance.install_replica_ca(config, postinstall=True)
>>
>>> File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py",

line 1678, in install_replica_ca
>>> subject_base=config.subject_base)
>>
>>> File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py",

line 478, in configure_instance
>>> self.start_creation(runtime=210)
>>
>>> File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/service.py",

line 364, in start_creation method()

>>> File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py",

line 604, in __spawn_instance
>>> raise RuntimeError('Configuration of CA failed')
>>
>>> ipa         : DEBUG    The ipa-ca-install command failed,
>>> exception: RuntimeError: Configuration of CA failed
>>
>>> Your system may be partly configured. Run
>>> /usr/sbin/ipa-server-install --uninstall to clean up.
>>
>>> Configuration of CA failed
>>

>>> So this behavior changed after restarting the IPA service on
>>> the RHEL 6.5 system.
>>
>>> So at this point I have a RHEL 6.5 system and a RHEL 7 replica
>>> of everything except the CA. The RHEL 6.5 system, when the IPA
>>> service is restarted throws an error, perhaps from schema
>>> change?
>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>>> -Erinn
>>

>> I went in and debugged this a bit further by changing the
>> verbosity for nsslapd-errorlog-level. It appears that the rhel
>> 6.5 system is attempting to connect to the RHEL 7 system on port
>> 7389 and since the RHEL 7 system does not have the CA installed
>> this would obviously fail. This leads me to believe that there is
>> cruft in the directory that is pointing to the wrong place. I
>> don't think this will fix my second group of errors, but how does
>> one view the replication agreements specifically for the ca?
>>
>> As well I omitted to lines from the ipa-ca-install error which
>> are probably pertinent:
>>
>> ERROR:  Unable to access directory server: Server is unwilling to
>> perform
>>
>> ipa         : DEBUG    stderr=
>>
>> -Erinn
>
> This is strange. ipa-ca-install/ipa-replica-install --setup-ca
> should create the replication agreement pointing at port 389 on
> RHEL-7.0, given that the 2 originally separated DS databases were
> merged.
>
> It looks like this is some replication agreement left over from
> previous tests.
>
> Anyway, to list all hosts with PKI, try:
>
> # ipa-csreplica-manage list Directory Manager password:
>
> vm-089.idm.lab.bos.redhat.com: master
> vm-086.idm.lab.bos.redhat.com: master
>
> "master" means that this server has PKI service installed. It will
> show different value if there is no PKI service.
>
> To check PKI replication agreements for specific hostname, run:
>
> # ipa-csreplica-manage list `hostname` Directory Manager password:
>
> vm-089.idm.lab.bos.redhat.com
>
> Check "man ipa-csreplica-manage" for advise how to delete or create
> the PKI agreements.
>
> HTH, Martin

Yeah here is what I get:
ipa-csreplica-manage list
Directory Manager password:

ipa2.example.com: CA not configured
ipa.example.com: master

ipa2 is my rhel7 instance, ipa is the rhel 6.5 instance.

ipa-csreplica-manage list ipa2.example.com
Directory Manager password:

Can't contact LDAP server

Which I guess makes sense, however:
ipa-csreplica-manage list -v ipa.example.com
Directory Manager password:

ipa2.example.com
  last init status: None
  last init ended: None
  last update status: -1  - LDAP error: Can't contact LDAP server
  last update ended: None
ipa2.example.com
  last init status: None
  last init ended: None
  last update status: 0 Replica acquired successfully: Incremental
update succeeded
  last update ended: 2014-08-04 14:43:48+00:00

This seems odd to me, but I don't really know exactly what to expect.
Why is ipa2 referenced twice? Why does on have replication succeeding
and the other failing?

It currently just feels like something is configured wrong, there is a
wrong entry somewhere, but I can't figure it out just yet.

Thanks for the help,
- -Erinn