[Freeipa-users] Mass update IP addresses

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 21:04:40 UTC 2014

On 8.8.2014 22:16, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 07/22/2014 11:04 AM, KodaK wrote:
>> For various reasons, I need to move a lot of my IPA clients to a different
>> subnet.
>>
>> I'd like to automate this as much as possible.  My initial thought is to use
>> a combination
>> of puppet and ipa commands, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.
>> Anything I
>> should watch out for in IPA?  I know that's vague, but I'm just seeking
>> general advice.

I'm sorry, the original question was almost forgotten...

SSSD should handle IP address change if:
- hostname stays the same
- dynamic DNS updates are enabled on IPA server
- SSSD/nsupdate can automatically update PTR records if they are hosted on the
same IPA server and PTR synchronization is enabled - see:
https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/wiki/BIND9/SyncPTR

The other option is to use ipa command dnsrecord-mod with own script. Simply
use "ipa dnsrecord-mod ...", no magic is required.

--
Petr^2 Spacek