[Freeipa-users] User auth for Samba 3 file server against IPA 3.0.0

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Sun Aug 10 05:09:53 UTC 2014

On 07/21/2014 10:15 AM, dbischof at hrz.uni-kassel.de wrote:
> Dmitri,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>
>> On 07/16/2014 07:16 AM, dbischof at hrz.uni-kassel.de wrote:
>>> I have IPA running on a CentOS 6 server. This server also acts as
>>> NFS- and Samba server. My Linux clients (openSUSE 13.1) work fine
>>> (NFS, automount, user auth for ssh and display manager).
>>>
>>> Since I also have some Windows users, I want them to be able to
>>> mount their homes via Samba using their IPA password. Just that, no
>>> AD or other fancy stuff.
>>
>> Support of Windows users is still where it was. Code might have
>> changed so the solution might not apply any more cleanly. Our general
>> vision is that windows users belong to Windows and have to be either
>> in AD or in Samba4. As soon as Samba 4 supports cross forest trusts
>> we will make it supported. Then we will be able to support cases like
>> you describe.
>>
>> Also right now Samba FS as a member of IPA domain does not work well.
>> It should work better with SSSD 1.12.1 and IPA 4.1 when we make sure
>> that all parts are in place but that would still have some problems
>> when one has to come from windows client as there is no SSSD
>> equivalent for windows clients.
>>
>> Bottom line: no, there is no better info, sorry.
>
> Bummer. Just to make sure: I don't want my Windows users to be able to
> log on to their systems using IPA auth, they all have local accounts.
> I just want them to be able to manually mount their home shares.

Sorry for a delayed response, I am slowly catching up on these threads.
Mounting a share requires authentication with the account that Samba FS
server knows about.
Samba FS server until now could have been joined to AD only. Samba 4 DC
can be used as an alternative of AD.
But in both cases Samba FS yet can't be a member of the IPA domain. We
are working on it.
So once it is done you might be able to manually mount shares using the
accounts managed by IPA.
It is a question of couple months really so may be you can wait for this
functionality to emerge and try it?

Thanks
Dmitri

--