[Freeipa-users] Ubuntu 3.3.x client vs. 3.0.0 server

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 07:58:15 UTC 2014

On 08/22/2014 10:41 PM, Michael Lasevich wrote:
> Trying to use ipa command line admin tools from Ubuntu 14.04 box against
> 3.0.0 CentOS 6 server and running into trouble.
>
> Seems like upgrading server is not an option without upgrading the server,
> and 3.3.0 client is not compatible with 3.0.0 server (seems to be sending
> invalid fields to the server in api)
>
> I cannot seem to easily find a way to get 3.0 client on ubuntu not do I see
> any pre-made 3.0 deb packages.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -M

Please see

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Client#Compatibility

which describes our current compatibility constrains for "ipa" tool.

TLDR; your 3.3 clients should work just fine regarding to FreeIPA services
(identity, authentication, authorization, sudo, ...). But when you want to use
the "ipa" tool, you would either need to use the one on the FreeIPA server or
use one from other CentOS 6 FreeIPA client (or use the Web UI).

Martin