[Freeipa-users] Password expiration dates are different when being resetted by the (primary) admin and a different admin

Zip Ly ziplyx at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 08:21:10 UTC 2014

@Martin
1) Yes, I did executed 8.5.3 from the wiki. Is this is reason for the
systems behaviour? if so why doesnt't it applies for both admins? And it
doesn't explain the 90 days, because it is not set in the tutorial. Unless
some params are left out of the wiki for some reason. I'm using windows
LDAP admin tool to browse the LDAP tree, but couln't find this param/value
so I wasn't sure if the new setting is being used. I did get a confirmation
while executing the change.

@Dimitri
1) Yes, there are no problems with changing your own password. There is
only something strange with the expiration lifetime when you are changing
other users (admin or non-admin) password. The expiration lifetime of a
password reset should be equal to BOTH admins like expired immediately, 90
days or the value that is set in the password policy. I prefer the value in
a password policy, because this way I have it more under control.

@Martin & @Will
1b) Ok, I'm afraid you may say that. Most free clients like gmail, hotmail,
ebay, paypal doesn't require a password reset from time to time (yes they
may have set a very high value). So I was wondering why it isn't possible.
I know it's bad for security, but still.