[Freeipa-users] DNS configuration

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 03:35:56 UTC 2014

On 12/02/2014 08:54 PM, Matthew Herzog wrote:
> Any other ideas? I just spun up a new VM and took the defaults on
> everything while running ipa-server-install (the defaults did make
> sense) and my new VM can't resolve -anything- in the domain in which
> it lives. The "old" VM (running the same versions of everything on the
> same OS) can't even resolve the clients I have registered with it!
>
> So I'm pretty frustrated and am wondering, what _exactly_ is the role
> of bind in the IPA server and how is it expected to know anything
> about the local DNS domain without becoming a bind slave server?

I am not sure I am 100% with you but...
If you use the defaults and nothing else you get to the scenario when
IPA has its DNS but it is a self contained environment. It seems that
this is what you observe.
It is expected that you decide in advance what you want to do with DNS.
There are several options:
1) You can delegate a zone to IPA to manage, then you need to connect
your IPA DNS to your existing DNS during install or after.
In this case the systems joined to IPA will be a part of IPA domain/zone
and would also be able to resolve other systems around
2) Not use IPA DNS if you do not want to take advantage of it
3) Have a self contained demo/lab environment that you currently observe.

What is the intent?

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal