[Freeipa-users] strange replica install error (another one)

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 16:41:48 UTC 2014

On 12/04/2014 04:56 PM, Janelle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just (pam)auth and nslcd
>
> It was ported from a running OpenLDAP environment to IPA.  Just trying
> to do conversions in stages so as not to change too much all at once.
> Thought I could go from OpenLDAP to IPA and just use the backend of
> 389ds. Functionally it does work, but the load kills it. Seems like
> FDs are a huge problem.  But all the settings documented don't see to
> resolve the magic:
>
> / Netscape Portable Runtime error -5971 (Process open FD table is full.)/
>
> error.
>
> Shouldn't this increase file descriptors in conjunction with
> /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv.systemd change? FS-limits across the OS are set
> to 65535 - /etc/security/limits.conf, /proc, sysctl.conf -- everything
> but 389-ds itself. But I still can't get this to work, although it
> does not give an error.
>
> ldapmodify -x -D "cn=directory manager" -W <<EOF
> dn: cn=config,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config
> changetype: modify
> replace: nsslapd-maxdescriptors
> nsslapd-maxdescriptors: 65535
> -
> replace: nsslapd-dtablesize
> nsslapd-dtablesize: 65535
> -
> replace: nsslapd-reservedescriptors
> nsslapd-reservedescriptors: 100
> EOF
there are two problems
- how to increase the connetction table size in DS
I would suggest to replace nsslapd-conntablesize and restart the server,
the change is not dynamic
- why you are running out of file descriptors
you should query "cn=monitor" to check the effective tablesize and the
number of established connections
it could be a problem of clients not well behaving and not closing
connections. you could set a low value of nsslapd-idletimeout to get rid
of these connections