[Freeipa-users] DNS configuration

Matthew Herzog matthew.herzog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 13:44:21 UTC 2014

Petr said, "You can run ipa-server-install *without* --setup-dns option and
at the end of
installation it will produce DNS records which you have to manually add to
your existing DNS database."

I can't see how this would be useful or which machines I would need to add
to our DNS.

Perhaps I should have explained that we are not going to set up a new DNS
domain for the ipa-managed servers. We have an Oracle dsee7 server doing
LDAP for our Linux servers and accounts. We want to migrate to IPA so we
don't have to maintain a Linux/LDAP account for every user who needs access
to Linux servers. All of our users start with an account in AD and since
none of my predecessors knew about Winbind, they set up dsee7.

So I'm thinking we'll need to import all our dsee7 accounts AND make it
possible for AD users to access the Linux systems without needing to create
them in IPA.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Petr Spacek <pspacek at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 8.12.2014 05:02, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> > On 12/07/2014 10:10 PM, Matthew Herzog wrote:
> >> So should the FreeIPA server be authoritative for the Kerb. realm/DNS
> domain
> >> or can it/should it be a slave DNS server instead? Or caching only?
> >
> > IPA DNS can't be a slave so you either delegate a whole zone to it or
> manage
> > IPA DNS domain via your own DNS server.
>
> Generally, "slave" is not allowed to do any changes so it is useless in
> your
> scenario.
>
> You can run ipa-server-install *without* --setup-dns option and at the end
> of
> installation it will produce DNS records which you have to manually add to
> your existing DNS database.
>
> Did you try that?
>
> Petr^2 Spacek
>
> >> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com
> >> <mailto:dpal at redhat.com>> wrote:

> >>     Let us keep the discussion on the list.
> >>     IPA when used with AD trust presents itself as a separate forest.
> >>     AD thinks that it is working with another AD forest.
> >>     For that to work we need to follow MSFT rules about relationship
> >>     between Kerberos realm and DNS domain.
> >>     AD assumes that for every trusted forest Kerberos realm = DNS
> >>     domain. IPA makes it easy to do because it has integrated tools to
> >>     manage IPA DNS domain.
> >>     If you want to manage it yourself through your DNS you can do it,
> >>     just more manual operations for you.
> >>
> >>     HTH
> >>
> >>     Thanks
> >>     Dmitri

> whatever.

> ping

> https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/wiki/BugReporting

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.