[Freeipa-users] DNS configuration

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 14:48:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:58:46 -0500
Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Perhaps I should have explained that we are not going to set up a
> > new DNS domain for the ipa-managed servers.

Note that if you cannot set up a new DNS domain and this domain is the
same as the AD domain then you cannot to the stuff Dmitri describe
below. The only way to have accounts on freeipa in this case is to use
the winsync method, which has a number of limitation.
Also clients will be rather confused when you try to
ipa-client-install as they will find AD servers instead of ipa servers,
finally you'll have to use a different realm name for the IPA domain,
one that doesn't match the AD domain.

HTH,
Simo.

--