[Freeipa-users] Host based 2FA ?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 18:27:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:17:18 -0500
Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/2014 01:07 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:30:06 -0500
> > Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> We have several tickets:
> >>
> >> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/433
> >>
> >> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3659
> >>
> >> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4498
> >>
> >> If you see https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4498#comment:6
> >> we discussed this use case.
> >> And I was about to fork it as said but then I realized that there
> >> is not good way on the KDC to determine the host you are coming
> >> from. So IMO it should be a policy decision on SSSD.
> >> There are two options:
> >> - short term solution: allow SSSD to have a local overwrite to
> >> require OTP if server offers different options.
> >> - longer term solution: actually have a per host policy that is
> >> centrally managed that is fetched per host and enforced by SSSD.
> >>
> >> Before filing tickets I would like to hear opinions on the matter.
> > If we are using a FAST channel using the credentials of the host
> > then you may be able to know (probably requires changes in the KDC
> > to internally retain/convey the information).
> > This is possible via SSSD, but will not work via kinit done by a
> > generic user, so normal kinit's would require 2FA all the time.
> >
> > Simo.
> >
> Can kinit do FAST? Is there some kind of kinit flag to use FAST?

Yes kinit can do FAST, but is cumbersome to manually do it.

> May be in such setup we will require all clients to use FAST for the
> accounts that have several options configured.

It won't help, users do not have access to the host keys so they can't
do FAST with *those* keys.

> Then we will know the principal used to armor the connection and can
> make policy decisions based on it.

We can do this with SSSD because it has access to the host key, being a
privileged process. Normal user's can't.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York