[Freeipa-users] IPA/Kerberos5 and Upper Case/Lower-case Hostnames

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Dec 29 21:17:34 UTC 2014

On 12/24/2014 01:04 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I have a large number of legacy hosts with upper-case host names, that
> I'd like to configure as IPA clients. However ipa client refuses to
> accept upper case hostnames during configuration time.
>
> I think this derives from the fact that the kerberos5 database stores
> host names in a case sensitive way and requires that the DNS hostname
> matches the server hostname case.
>
> My question is: Is it mandatory that the hostname be lower-cased, or
> is there a safe workaround that will allow IPA client to work with
> hosts that have upper case host names ?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Traiano

See man sssd-ipa

        ipa_hostname (string)
            Optional. May be set on machines where the hostname(5) does
not reflect the fully qualified name used in the IPA domain to identify this
            host.

AFAIR you use this setting for the cases when you want the actual
machine name be different than the one IPA has.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio