[Freeipa-users] authentication against compat

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 07:36:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, Steve Dainard wrote:
>I don't think this is an issue of bugs or documentation, more of design.
>Perhaps there's someplace other than a users list this belongs in but:
>
>If IPA is a centrally managed identity and access control system, should
>these configurations not be passed to clients, rather than every client
>needing configuration changes post join? Obviously I can automate config
>changes, but why would I want to? I don't think sudoers priv is a fringe
>case, its pretty much THE case for access/admin control. I cringe to
>compare to a Windows domain, but I don't have to manually tell a domain
>client that it should respect the rules I set on a domain controller, I
>joined it to the domain for this reason.
When majority of expected features are already implemented, it is easy
to fall into assumption that everything has to be complete from start.
That's understandable but we are dealing with a living and evolving
project where a feature addition often means integrating across multiple
actual free software projects, all with their own priorities and
schedules, step by step, or things will never happen.

SUDO integration is not an exception here. First we needed to expand
SUDO's support for external plugins. When SUDO data was placed in LDAP,
it appeared that existing schema isn't really optimal, so FreeIPA schema
was designed better (but incompatible with existing one from SUDO LDAP),
but required a compatibility part to work with existing SUDO LDAP
plugin. Next, we implemented SUDO provider in SSSD for the existing SUDO
LDAP schema as it gave SSSD wider coverage of SUDO support. Now we
implemented support for native FreeIPA schema. The next step is to
integrate configuration of it in ipa-client-install so that clients will
get set up properly if there are SUDO rules configured on the server or
ipa-client-install was actually given a bless from the admin (via CLI
option or answering a question).

It takes time and effort. Unsurprisingly, this is a relatively minor
feature in the grand picture because we have dozens of such features all
asking for attention and time, and our development teams are not
expanding infinitely regardless how we all wished. :)

Any help is welcome!

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy