[Freeipa-users] Certificate system unavailable

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 15:34:01 UTC 2014

Sigbjorn Lie wrote:

> On Fri, February 14, 2014 17:18, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Sigbjorn Lie wrote:

>>> The CA seem to be available. I ran the command on ipa01. See below for the output.
>>>

>>> The issue happens when I'm logged on to any of the ipa servers, and if I'm running the ipa
>>> command from a remote machine.
>>>

>>> ]$ sudo certutil -L -d /etc/pki/nssdb -n 'IPA CA'
>>> Certificate:
>>> Version: 3 (0x2)
>>> Serial Number: 1 (0x1)
>>> Signature Algorithm: PKCS #1 SHA-256 With RSA Encryption
>>> Issuer: "CN=Certificate Authority,O=EXAMPLE.COM"
>>> Validity:
>>> Not Before: Thu Jan 19 19:44:21 2012
>>> Not After : Sun Jan 19 19:44:21 2020
>>> Subject: "CN=Certificate Authority,O=EXAMPLE.COM"
>>> Subject Public Key Info:
>>> Public Key Algorithm: PKCS #1 RSA Encryption
>>> RSA Public Key:
>>> Modulus:
>>>

>> Perhaps we can brute force things to see what is going on. We can pass
>> some extra options to the ipa tool to get ultra verbose output:
>>
>> $ ipa -vv -e debug=True user-show admin
>>

>> The thing to do is to check the server that it is communicating with and
>> check /var/log/httpd/errors to see if there is an equivalent error logged there.
>>

> I've sent you the full output in private.  Could this be the reason for why it fails?
>
> ipa: DEBUG: auth_certificate_callback: check_sig=True is_server=False
>
>          Name:     Certificate Key Usage
>          Critical: True
>          Usages:
>              Digital Signature
>              Non-Repudiation
>              Key Encipherment
>              Data Encipherment

No, that is normal for a server cert.

This pretty clearly looks like an SSL trust issue. Is this happening on
every client machine you run the ipa tool or just one?

You might want to compare the cert in /etc/pki/nssdb with the one on the
Apache server.

# certutil -L -d /etc/httpd/alias -n 'EXAMPLE.COM IPA CA'

# certutil -L -d /etc/pki/nssdb -n 'IPA CA'

The trust on each should be CT,C,C and can be checked with:

# certutil -L -d /etc/pki/nssdb

rob