[Freeipa-users] local root can su to any IPA user

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 20:06:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 04:24:54PM -0500, Steve Dainard wrote:
> Would it not be possible for root to disable selinux enforcement?

Normally yes, if you're root, you can do all kinds of stuff including
appending 'selinux=0' to the kernel command line. Maybe there are better
SELinux experts on the list, but if you need to partition the power of
root further, maybe MLS SELinux configuration is what you need?

> A user
> could maybe even use a livecd if root couldn't be gained directly.

Can you protect the bootloader with a password? btw if malicious users
have physical access to the hardware, then you're in a difficult
situation anyway..

> I'm looking at joining workstations to an idm realm, but some users will
> need sudo permissions on their machines.

Do they need the full sudo permissions (to become root) ? Can you just
give them permissions to run specific commands (ie /sbin/service etc) ?