[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and abfab?

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Tue Jan 14 02:50:24 UTC 2014

In my previous message, I asked about one-way trust with AD to provide a means of "extending" our corporate AD with accounts for external cooperators. I expect this is just a technical matter: either FreeIPA supports it or not, and there's no conceptual obstacles. So, my password is the same, and everyone else needs a new account. Not ideal, but it's achievable fairly easily with existing tools.

But what I really really want is an identity provider for the edge of the enterprise, where I live. My password is the same and external users can also use their normal password. Essentially, I want a software suite which interfaces between the enterprise environment where everything is centrally managed, and a federated environment where there are too many organizations to shake a stick at.

I've been reading about "Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond Web" (abfab). https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/abfab/ It appears to me that the draft architecture document and the recently published RFCs (7055, 7056, 7057) defines a mechanism for enterprises to federate and opens up  a whole new application space. The big question is, should enterprise-centric management apps expand to include federation, or will a whole new crop of solutions pop up? Or, more pointedly, could this gap be filled by augmenting an enterprise's existing AD deployment with a federation-aware FreeIPA? Has FreeIPA considered moving into this space?

I can see several areas where a federation aware, AD compatible solution could add value to an organization:

Use case 1: Synchronizing enterprise IDs with IDs exposed to the federation. (Currently, we have "AD" credentials and SAML credentials, and they are not synched. And our SAML IdP does not participate in a federation.)

Use case 2:  Software can use SAML credentials for workstation logins (if the workstations are on the "research net"); and allow only internal users to use "internal services".

Use case 3: Software provides access to "internal + federated" identities using LDAP, SAML, Kerberos, etc.

Food for thought. I know this isn't near term, but at this point, I'm just curious if people are even thinking along these lines?

Bryce