[Freeipa-users] User auth for Samba 3 file server against IPA 3.0.0

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 22:36:08 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 07:16 AM, dbischof at hrz.uni-kassel.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this has been discussed on this list and elsewhere [1], but I'm still
> a little puzzled:
>
> I have IPA running on a CentOS 6 server. This server also acts as NFS-
> and Samba server. My Linux clients (openSUSE 13.1) work fine (NFS,
> automount, user auth for ssh and display manager).
>
> Since I also have some Windows users, I want them to be able to mount
> their homes via Samba using their IPA password. Just that, no AD or
> other fancy stuff.

Support of Windows users is still where it was. Code might have changed
so the solution might not apply any more cleanly.
Our general vision is that windows users belong to Windows and have to
be either in AD or in Samba4.
As soon as Samba 4 supports cross forest trusts we will make it supported.
Then we will be able to support cases like you describe.

Also right now Samba FS as a member of IPA domain does not work well.
It should work better with SSSD 1.12.1 and IPA 4.1 when we make sure
that all parts are in place but that would still have some problems when
one has to come from windows client as there is no SSSD equivalent for
windows clients.

Bottom line: no, there is no better info, sorry.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio