[Freeipa-users] RHEL 7 Upgrade experience so far

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 16:31:36 UTC 2014

On 07/27/2014 12:02 AM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> [...]
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4375 ValueError:
>>> nsDS5ReplicaId has 2 values, one expected.
>
>>> Went and patched the replication.py file to get around that
>>> issue, and we moved on.
>
>>> Next up is my current issue: Exception from Java Configuration
>>>  Servlet: Clone does not have all the required certificates.
>
>>> I suspect this is because I am running the CA as a subordinate
>>> to an AD CS instance, but I am unsure at this point.
>
>>> It has been a haul to get here, despite the short explanation.
>>> It seems that my primary ipa instance is working on only a hit
>>> or miss basis for kerberos tickets which has made all this a
>>> bit of a pain. You can kinit as admin once it will fail unable
>>> to find KDC, try again another three times, it will work. I
>>> have even modified the krb5.conf file to point directly at the
>>> server, thus bypassing DNS SRV lookups, however, that hasn't
>>> worked.
>
>>> Point is, any help would be appreciated on the aforementioned
>>> error.
>
>>> -Erinn
>

>> To reply to myself here, I believe the problem may be that I had
>> to renew the CA certificates and as such the certificates in
>> /root/cacert.p12 are no longer valid. It is this file that gets
>> bundled up with whatever else using ipa-replica-prepare, so I
>> will have to create a new one that has the valid certificates in
>> it.
>
>> One way or another though, if it isn't already documented, during
>> a CA renewal this file should probably be updated with the
>> correct certificates.
>
>> -Erinn
>
>> -Erinn
>

> Well thanks to this:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Change_Directory_Manager_Password
>
>  I have gotten a little further down the road an created a new
> cacert.p12 which looks to be complete.
>
> However, installation still fails in the same place:
>
> 2014-07-27T06:33:04Z DEBUG Starting external process
> 2014-07-27T06:33:04Z DEBUG args=/usr/sbin/pkispawn -s CA -f
> /tmp/tmp5QGhUx 2014-07-27T06:33:25Z DEBUG Process finished, return
> code=1 2014-07-27T06:33:25Z DEBUG stdout=Loading deployment
> configuration from /tmp/tmp5QGhUx. Installing CA into
> /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat. Storing deployment configuration into
> /etc/sysconfig/pki/tomcat/pki-tomcat/ca/deployment.cfg.
> Installation failed.
>

> 2014-07-27T06:33:25Z DEBUG stderr=pkispawn    : WARNING  .......
> unable to validate security domain user/password through REST
> interface. Interface not available pkispawn    : ERROR    .......
> Exception from Java Configuration Servlet: Clone does not have all
> the required certificates
>
> 2014-07-27T06:33:25Z CRITICAL failed to configure ca instance
> Command '/usr/sbin/pkispawn -s CA -f /tmp/tmp5QGhUx' returned
> non-zero exit status 1 2014-07-27T06:33:25Z DEBUG   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/installutils.py",

line 638, in run_script
> return_value = main_function()
>
> File "/usr/sbin/ipa-replica-install", line 667, in main CA =
> cainstance.install_replica_ca(config)
>
> File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py",

line 1678, in install_replica_ca
> subject_base=config.subject_base)
>
> File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py",

line 478, in configure_instance
> self.start_creation(runtime=210)
>
> File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/service.py",
> line 364, in start_creation method()
>
> File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py",

line 604, in __spawn_instance
> raise RuntimeError('Configuration of CA failed')
>
> 2014-07-27T06:33:25Z DEBUG The ipa-replica-install command failed,
> exception: RuntimeError: Configuration of CA failed
>

> So some of the required certificates must be missing still.
>
> Unhelpfully, the ipa-server-install --uninstall process is not
> cleaning up everything after this failure, it leaves the CA intact
> and the next run through the installer believes the CA is working
> so it does not configure it. As such, I guess a re-install is
> necessary or some other steps to truly clean everything that I
> haven't found yet.
>
> -Erinn

Continuing on, in order to remove the CA I am manually running:
pkidestroy -s CA -i pki-tomcat

And indeed there is a bug: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2796

Interesting that the installer detects that the CA is installed, but
the uninstaller does not detect it. I guess they are doing their
detection in different ways.

At this point I wanted to explore how feasible it would be to have a
RHEL 7 replica without the CA replica portion, this ought to alleviate
the KDC issues I seem to be having on the primary, which I have still
to figure out.

So any reason not to do that? Would I simply be able to do a
ipa-ca-install on the rhel 7 system at a future juncture and then
perform the rest of the migration?

Thanks,
- -Erinn