[Freeipa-users] Local users/groups to IPA Transition

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Wed Jul 30 22:03:03 UTC 2014

> We are evaluating RHEL7 IdM (FreeIPA 3.3) for identity management for our
> UNIX infrastructure.  All of our Linux hosts currently have standard and
> consistent UID/GIDs for at least all of our administrative users.  I'm looking
> for advice on how to migrate these users into IPA.
> Eventually we plan to configure a kerberos trust with our AD domain where
> we could configure these UID/GIDs via AD's POSIX UID/GID settings.

So if I understand this right, you're planning on two back to back user migrations? First is local->FreeIPA, then eventually FreeIPA->AD? Are your current "local" users coincidentally the same as your current AD users?

I'm probably a bad example. I centralized authentication for web apps about four years ago. I'm adopting FreeIPA because my desktops are "every machine for itself". I have the same username everywhere, but UIDs/GIDs are uncoordinated. More important to me is the fact that my passwords are related to whatever was in vogue when I set up the machine, and the machines were set up any time from this month to ten years ago. Converting to FreeIPA happened because I started thinking of my little domain as a place to manage collections of desktops instead of just collections of web applications.

I'm also feverishly trying to setup an isolation layer between myself and AD, because my CIO is migrating from an "agency" directory to a "department" directory, with users migrating in batches not aligned to the projects I support. The isolation layer also allows me to continue to form groups composed of both AD and FreeIPA users, allows me to supplement or override user attributes for the local environment, and (cross-fingers) will allow for NFS file sharing with kerberos authenticated principals from more than one realm (assuming the Kerberos trust comes thru). Four birds with one stone.

Bryce