[Freeipa-users] 4.0.0 password migration trouble

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Fri Jul 18 23:08:37 UTC 2014

> So if I understand the 389-ds ticket correctly, I can add pre-hashed passwords
> via ldapmodify to the 389 server using directory manager as the bind dn? I
> just can't use the ipa command line tool/script.

The short answer is "no". Trying to add the userPassword attribute with ldapmodify binding as "cn=directory manager" fails with operation error.

Error log attached to the ticket Rob made: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4450

To summarize:

No password migration via "ipa migrate-ds"; No password migration via "ipa user-add --setattr userPassword={SHA}..."; No password migration via 'ldapmodify -D "cn=directory manager"'. Do you think a solution will be forthcoming, or is it a ways off? I can leave my old ldap directory up for a little while.

Bryce