[Freeipa-users] Add'tl use case for views

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 07:45:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 06:17:22PM +0000, Nordgren, Bryce L -FS wrote:
> Inconsistently managed AD user entries.
>
> Many accounts in my AD are posixAccounts, but I encountered one today (created in 2013) which had no posix information whatsoever. This crumpled my assumption that I could leverage posix information from the institutional source. Under my current system, I had to create an external account for him. With views, I could've provided the missing attributes.

Thank you. This is one of the main use-cases for views we had in mind.
In general IPA can generate the needed POSIX data on the fly for AD
users. But currently you have to decide if you want to use the POSIX
attributes from AD and as a consequence only the user with these
attributes set will be available. Or POSIX attribute will be created on
the fly for all AD users and POSIX attributes set in AD will be ignored.

Currently we do not support to have both at once because it is easy to
run into trouble with no real way out. With views we can get around this
and it would be possible to support both schemes.

I you come across other use cases for view please share them here on the list.

bye,
Sumit