[Freeipa-users] Introduction and question regarding SMTP/IMAP

Dave Gonzalez dgonzalezh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 18:28:31 UTC 2014

So with more reading I've gotten even further, things never mentioned on
those howtos:

* You must have some means to authenticate to the Kerberos realm for
your domain, in my case the MIT Kerberos client for windows 8

I've got Dovecot working as expected authenticating using teh GSSAPI
authentication mechanism which is great.

Postfix is also talking to SASL Auth daemon but I'm getting some auth
errors like this:

Jun 25 13:09:46 mail postfix/smtpd[8616]: warning: SASL authentication
failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide
more information ()

While Thunderbird reports this:

Sending of message failed.
The Kerberos/GSSAPI ticket was not accepted by the SMTP server
mail.domain.net. Please check that you are logged in to the
Kerberos/GSSAPI realm.

I'm in fact logged in to the realm from what I can see in the MIT
Kerberos client interface:

I hope the attachment can be seen by the list:

So, as you can see both smtp/mail.domain.net and imap/mail.domain.net
are there, so whatever is causing the issue has to do with SASL but I
haven't been able to find any useful debug commands for it apart from
testsaslauthd whic yells

[root at mail ~]# testsaslauthd -u david at domain.net -p pass
0: NO "authentication failed"

I don't know if I need the /etc/saslauthd.conf file as described on some
postfix+LDAP documents I tested that with no luck, here's a sample of
what I tried.

[root at mail ~]# cat saslauthd.conf
ldap_servers: ldap://ipa.domain.net
ldap_search_base: cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=net
ldap_filter: (|(uid=%u)(mail=%u))
ldap_bind_dn: uid=david,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=net
ldap_bind_pw: pass

Any advise from you will be greatly appreciated.

Then again, Thanks In Advance guys.

--Regards DavidG