[Freeipa-users] Can't change password of FreeIPA admin - “Current password's minimum life has not expired”

Alex Chistyakov alex at gitinsky.com
Mon Jun 30 12:40:25 UTC 2014

Hello,

We have a FreeIPA-based system, admin's password has expired and needs to be changed but the standard password changing procedure over SSH fails:

  sashka at cellar ~ ssh admin at ipa.xxxxxxxxxx.com
  admin at ipa.goodwix.com's password:
  Password expired. Change your password now.
  Last failed login: Mon Jun 30 15:38:21 MSK 2014 from 116.10.191.195 on ssh:notty
  There were 6071 failed login attempts since the last successful login.
  Last login: Wed Apr 16 19:28:54 2014
  WARNING: Your password has expired.
  You must change your password now and login again!
  Changing password for user admin.
  Current Password:
  New password:
  Retype new password:
  Password change failed. Server message: Current password's minimum life has not expired

  Password not changed.
  passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
  Connection to ipa.xxxxxxxxxx.com closed.

If we try to change the password using passwd it fails too with the same error message:

  [admin at ipa ~]$ passwd
  Changing password for user admin.
  Current Password:
  New password:
  Retype new password:
  Password change failed. Server message: Current password's minimum life has not expired

  Password not changed.
  passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
  [admin at ipa ~]$

What should we do to resolve this situation?

Thank you!

--
SY,
Alexander Chistyakov,