[Freeipa-users] best practices for subdomains

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 08:33:36 UTC 2014

On 1.3.2014 23:20, Brendan Kearney wrote:
> i am using bind-dyndb-ldap outside of freeipa, and want to create
> _tcp.my-domain.com and _udp.my-domain.com subdomains.  i have tried, but
> seem to come up short and nslookup fails for the records i try to create
> in the subdomains.  some googling and searching in the wiki have not
> provided me with much go on.  below is an attempt at _tcp.my-domain.com
>
> dn: idnsName=_tcp.my-domain.com.,cn=dns,dc=my-domain,dc=com
> dnsttl: 3600
> idnsallowdynupdate: FALSE
> idnsallowsyncptr: FALSE
> idnsname: _tcp.my-domain.com.
> idnssoaexpire: 604800
> idnssoaminimum: 86400
> idnssoamname: server.my-domain.com.
> idnssoarefresh: 10800
> idnssoaretry: 900
> idnssoarname: root.server.my-domain.com.
> idnssoaserial: 1
> idnsupdatepolicy: grant MY-DOMAIN.COM krb5-self * A;
> idnszoneactive: TRUE
> nsrecord: server.my-domain.com.
> objectclass: top
> objectclass: idnsZone
> objectclass: idnsRecord
>
> what is the correct way to create a subdomain?

First of all, do you really want to create *subdomains* for _tcp and _udp or
do you just need to create couple records like _ldap._tcp in a existing
domain? It is very unusual to create separate subdomains for _tcp and _udp.

I'm attaching small snippet which shows how to add _ldap._tcp SRV record to
existing domain ipa.example.

Please be so kind and send us information mentioned on
https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/wiki/BugReporting#a3.Whatweneedtoknow

We would like to know how users use bind-dyndb-ldap, which LDAP server is used
outside FreeIPA and so on.

Have a nice day!

--
Petr^2 Spacek