[Freeipa-users] Change user login name? (uid in LDAP)

Will Sheldon mail at willsheldon.com
Fri Mar 7 20:44:45 UTC 2014

Hello all :)

We have an internal process that requires the renaming of users from time to time (user gets married, changes name). This requires changing the "login name” as it’s called in the GUI, (or uid in LDAP).

There doesn’t currently appear to be any method for doing so other than to delete the user and create a new one, then update the uidNumber and gidNumber to the old values using the ipa modify-user command.

Is there a better way? I’ve looked through all the docs and hunted through the mailing list archives but can’t find anything...

W.