[Freeipa-users] Using external KDC

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 14:32:02 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-03-08 at 18:53 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 03/08/2014 04:36 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> > I got a RHEL7-beta VM up and running with basic ipa install (no DNS and no NTP).
> >
> > IPA is 3.3.3-5.el7
> > SSSD is 1.11.2-1.el7
> > krb5 is 1.11.3-31.el7
> >
> > Based on the docs at http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/OTP I attempted
> > the CLI commands under "Feature Management", with no luck.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > ---
> > # ipa config-mod --user-auth-type=['password', 'otp', 'radius']
> > Usage: ipa [global-options] config-mod [options]
> >
> > ipa: error: no such option: --user-auth-type
> > ---
> >
> > The ipa subcommands "radiusproxy-*" do not exist either.
> >
> > What version of IPA should I use to test this proof of concept?  The
> > docs mention needing Kerberos no earlier than 1.12, which isn't
> > available in EL7.
> >
> > My understanding of Kerberos is not great, but is FreeIPA simply not
> > designed for external Kerberos (like the use of an external CA)?  Is
> > there possibly a way to utilize FreeIPA without Kerberos, and just
> > manage 389DS while still using the web interface (hard to find good
> > Identity Management Web UI) and CLI tools?  I'd still like to get this
> > working in FreeIPA, but am working on upgrading our HPC cluster to EL6
> > (or EL7) and moving to FreeIPA would be a great improvement over 389DS
> > in terms of manageability.
> >

> Nathaniel, do we have a build of the latest bits for RHEL7 somewhere?
> Can you help with this POC please?

None of those commands will be present in EL 7.0 and we don't currently
have EL 7.0 builds of FreeIPA 4.0 master to my knowledge.

It would be possible to do this via manual manipulation of the LDAP
entries. You'd need to create an ipatokenRadiusConfiguration object and
then add the ipatokenRadiusProxyUser class (ipatokenRadiusConfigLink
attribute) to each user you'd like to proxy.

However, I don't think manual manipulation of LDAP like this is a
supported operation. I would also imagine that your University may look
down on an intentional man-in-the-middle password proxy.

Nathaniel