[Freeipa-users] install IPA replica multi-hosts (ipa packages version 3.3.3-18)

artjazz at free.fr artjazz at free.fr
Mon Mar 10 15:16:05 UTC 2014

Selon Petr Spacek <pspacek at redhat.com>:

> On 7.3.2014 16:57, Dmitri Pal wrote:

> NICs
> >> The goal is to separate the administration flux and the userland flux.
> >>
> > The problem is that it is not that clean.
> > One server can connect to another on different ports and using different
> > protocols for different purposes. And client can actually be a proxy that
> does
> > some admin tasks via LDAP or executes remote administrative commands.
> >
> > I think may be it is better to explore FW rules.
> > For example create a FW rule that would allow only Kerberos and LDAP
> > connections from a set of hosts that would be clients. Hm but that again
> would
> > prevent you from enrolling new systems since the ipa-client-install
> connects
> > to IPA via admin interface during the enrollment stage.
> >
> > May be there is some magic that can be done using DNS zones but I am not
> sure...
>
> Let me summarize this thread to:
> Sorry, this is not supported.

Thanks for your answer; It's clear for me now, I understand why my different
tests didn't work.

Just for my information because it's a little bit confusing when I read in the
FreeIPA_Guide (Fedora18)  the following sentence:
19.5. Setting DNS Entries for Multi-Homed Servers
Some server machines may support multiple network interface cards (NICs).
Multi-homed machines typically have multiple IPs, all assigned to the same
hostname. This works fine in FreeIPA most of the time because it listens on all
available interfaces, except localhost. For a server to be available through any
NIC, edit the DNS zone file and add entries for each IP address. For example:
ipaserver  IN A  192.168.1.100
ipaserver  IN A  192.168.1.101
ipaserver  IN A  192.168.1.102

What is the architecture of the Multi-Homed Servers in this case ?

> It becomes extremely complex very quickly and we don't have manpower to
> maintain support for this kind of scenarios.
I understand well.

> Ideas and patches are welcome! :-)
I can try to think about it.
Best Regards.