[Freeipa-users] quick question

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 17:40:46 UTC 2014

Todd,

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Todd Maugh wrote:
>Yes for trusts rhel6.5 with AD 2012 for winsync and password sync

You are mixing two different things.

- winsync/password sync is not trusts. AD accounts are physically cloned to
   IdM on each change at AD side. When logging to IdM with AD account,
   authentication is performed by IdM solely based on the password set in
   IdM.

- trusts is not winsync/password sync. Accounts are always managed at AD
   side and never duplicated in IdM LDAP. When logging to IdM with AD
   account, authentication is performed by AD and validated by IdM based
   on IdM's HBAC rules.

Both approaches have own benefits but they are not mixable.

/ Alexander Bokovoy