[Freeipa-users] Has one successfully synched the entirety of their AD to IPA (multiple OUs and or Subtrees)

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 22:03:17 UTC 2014

On 03/17/2014 03:52 PM, Todd Maugh wrote:

> Thanks Rich,
>
> I am able to create a successful winsync agreement from the top level.
>
> Unfortunately, when I do this. I do not see any of the accounts from
> the sub trees populate my ipa server.

Ok, so it doesn't work.

> Is it possible to have all the subtrees (ous) live under cn=users.If I
> make this change to AD would IPA then sync all the accounts from the
> subtrees?

Yes.

> I cant believe I am the first person with this issue or need.

You are certainly not - we have a couple of 389 to address this and
similar issues with winsync.

https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/460

Unfortunately, this fix has been targeted for F20 (389-ds-base-1.3.2),
and we don't have plans to backport to EL6.

Note that winsync is always going to be more or less painful - it is
not, was never designed to be, and never will be a full blown
meta-directory solution.  For more information:

https://fedorahosted.org/389/query?component=Sync+Service&status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority&report=16

That's why we recommend that the best long term solution is cross domain
trust - that removes winsync from the picture.