[Freeipa-users] About Windows client

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 00:05:25 UTC 2014

On 03/23/2014 06:59 PM, Nordgren, Bryce L -FS wrote:

> I’m not, in general, in favor of solutions which promiscuously sling
> Kerberos passwords around the net. JpGina + Kerberos authenticating
> directly off of IPA would be the way to go, I think.
>
> Presumably Dimitri’s statement about the user being “foreign” and
> having limited access to windows services would apply equally well to
> a user with a SID from a foreign domain in a large Kerberos
> federation. This, and the uncertainty concerning what type of
> directory service the foreign KDC is paired with, is probably
> responsible for keeping Kerberos-based federations small.

If you have a SID you can tell Windows what t odo with it and how to
resolve it to name. If you do not have one you can't do anything if you
accessing elements of the Windows infra.

> That being said, the collaboration use case (not to mention “home
> networks”) is what makes “foreign” logins interesting. There’s hardly
> anything in common between two collaboration projects, so it’s hard to
> define far-reaching policies (i.e., you’re not missing out on much).
> Most all authorization decisions are delegated out to some project
> member responsible for the server/asset. Constructing authorization
> sets having members defined by text based principals makes a certain
> amount of sense. Hence the LDAP “member”  attribute in RFC4519.

Collaboration can be in different ways. It all depends on the use case.
It can be OpenID, SAML, Kerberos, etc. There are different technologies
and they suit better different use cases.

> What would really be cool is the “inverse” of gluu or openam. Kerberos
> preauthentication data which allows the KDC to authenticate off of an
> OpenID Connect, SAML, or LDAP authentication source, caching the
> provided password and provisioning a Kerberos principal. Future AS
> exchanges would start out as “normal” Kerberos. Sort of like migration
> mode does now. If the KDC could then signal IPA that a new principal
> was provisioned, IPA could allocate and harmonize an SID and a UID for
> the principal in the domain.

It is already to some extend possible. It is called "constrained
delegation". The problem is that the gateway that would do such protocol
conversion would be able to impersonate any user in the Kerberos realm.
This is not the best but since it is being asked we are looking into it.
There is a project called Ipsilon
https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ipsilon that is building the way of
federating different applications via SAML but in future it might be
extended to the workflows you are talking about here though I am not
sure I met these use cases in practice. Can you please share under what
circumstances such "inversion" would actually be needed?

> Poof. Console logins for Windows (pGina) and Linux (sssd) using IPA
> backed by your google account.  That just eliminated 98% of the
> external accounts you would have had to create and manage.

Your Google account does not use Kerberos that means that your password
goes over the wire. The whole point of Kerberos that password does not
go the wire.
That being said modern Kerberos server and client support OTP
preauthentication method. This method can be used (abused) to proxy to
any RADIUS server including the one provided by Google. So if you use
Google 2FA then it becomes more interesting. You can extually try it now
with the latest upstream bits. It is not 100% complete but good enough
to give it a try.
We are also working with MIT to make sure that one can use IPA with
Kerberos password + HOTP/TOTP token. Then instead of sending the
authentication to the external entity (RADIUS server) the token code
would be processed by IPA, but to make is more secure and not send the
password over the wire together with OTP, KDC and client need to support
authentication sets. It is a feature that we will be looking to have in
a 1.14 Kerberos release.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal