[Freeipa-users] change min and max lifetime of random password

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Mon Mar 24 17:15:01 UTC 2014

hi all,

i'm trying to limit the minimum and maximum lifetime of passwords (in
particular the random password when a host is added; but i guess this
more general).

(i'm using ipa 3.0 from el6 and also looking at 3.3 from rhel7 beta, but
the relevant code seems the same or at least very similar)

i'm currently adding the host first via the api and then setting the
random password with host_mod like

api.Command.host_add(u''+host)
api.Command.host_mod(u''+host,random=True)

(for some reason, this is what is needed on 3.0; anyway, that's not my
issue)

is there a way that i can change it easily somehow afterwards (preferred
way) or can i create and use a custom pwpolicy class that sets my
preferred defaults (min 1 minute, max 20 minutes); or do i monkeypatch
the whole class (assuming that pwpolicy_add is called on the user side,
not on the server side).

all tips are welcome.

many thanks,

stijn